There Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked.
So this week has been a trip. Admittedly I didn’t devote nearly as much time as the rest of the gang (shout out to John and Noah especially for killing both it and themselves) because of bunch of other projects that were due, but progress was still made. Collision issues from Monday’s class were resolved and health + death were set up to, you know, actually happen. Of course, as is tradition, new issues have cropped up. As I type this I’m working on getting those collisions to work consistently across all the enemies and health to work for both characters. I may need to enlist some help with this because I’m truly baffled as to why some of this is happening. I also see more some covfefe in my future. So I guess a positive is that now a bunch of key features work! The negative flip side is that they don’t work consistently across the board.
Anyway, let’s get to the meaty part of this thing:
This project has been an experience, to say the least, most generic thing possible. Heck, this term has been an experience. A bunch of ups. A pile of downs. A mountain of lessons. Let’s start it off with the good.
First off, shout out to the entire team for making me like group projects for the first time in the history of ever. Seriously, hats off to them. Y’all worked your bums off.
Second, we got off to a great start because of the awesome organization we had going. By the end of the first week we had roles, departments, our drive set up, a clear vision, and our tasks dolled out. And even when the road got bumpy (understatement of the century), we maintained this organization and structure – it may not have solved all our problems, but it definitely helped us stay focused on the tasks at hand.
So remember how I just said our organization was the bees knees? Well, one slip up on that front that stands out was a lack of consistency, particularly one the code front. Each of us has a slightly different way of implementing things. Where programmer A might create a function in the player object, programmer B might handle the same thing in the enemy object. Later on, this lead to a few instances of total rewrites as different programmers took on different features, some of which they didn’t originally create.
Another negative was the oft mentioned time. Six weeks was definitely a tough time frame to manage. Throw in other classes and oh boy we’ve got a lot of not sleeping and still not meeting deadlines. No one is really to blame for this – it’s kinda just a fact of life when you’re in classes – but it definitely took its toll.
Finally, I want to take a minute to acknowledge this crazy little thing called life. Life does this thing where it throws stuff at you even though you aren’t ready to catch it. Or if you’re just not able to catch it. Or sometimes you can totally catch it but it hits you in the face. Life decided to throw a lot my way and I was admittedly kinda out of it mentally for a chunk of the term, which is not the best when you’re working with a group. It took some time to get back in the swing of things, and learning to balance the work with the rest of things was a whole project in and of itself. I don’t mean for that to come off as a deflection of responsibility, though. I fully own the fact that I may have been a literal corpse at times. For a minute there, I lost myself.
Oh, and not knowing Unity was like, kinda a problem.
The Ug- I mean Lessons
- Be super realistic when planning. The best laid plans oft go awry.
- Life, like, finds a way, dude. Expect curve-balls from anything and everything, even things unrelated to the project.
- Know your gosh dang engine.
- And for the love of god go to sleep once in a while.
It’s been real, guys. Y’all were the bomb diggity to work with, and despite how dumb that sounds, I mean it. 🙂